Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Zoya Holographic Polish (Aurora, Blaze, and Storm) Review [PIC HEAVY]

First of all, I just had to rant and explain, that as a polish reviewer, much time is spent in frustration about holo-ey goodness and color shifts not showing up in pictures. Yet, every little spot where polish isn't where it's supposed to be is invisble to "the naked eye", but our camera shots show them like blaring lights. Ugh. That being said, please bear with me always and realize that the holo is usually 2-3x stronger than the pictures show, and I try my very best to clean up my manicures without wasting precious time.

Now onto reviewing :) As my blog name implies, I love holos, and therefore I feel I must review them all. So even though I normally only review "indies", today I am reviewing a somewhat more "mainstream" brand.

Zoya currently only has three holographic polishes- Aurora, Blaze, and Storm. For some reason (as you'll see in the pictures), my bottle of Aurora has far more holographic flecks in it than the other two colors. I'm not sure if every Aurora is like that (I think they might be), but I just wanted to give everyone else the heads up.

I bought these here for $8 each (15mL)


First up is Blaze. A beautiful cherry red, the holo is a little more tame here, and tinted by the shade, so the spectrum of colors is not quite as strong.
Opacity: 3
Application: 5
Wear: 5
Removal: 5


Two coats, no base or top.

Next is Aurora. The flaky glitter in this one is almost blinding. I had to add a blurred picture because it's so pretty. This color is a bright purple (it kinda makes me think of Barney).

Opacity: 2.5
Application: 5
Wear: 5
Removal: 5
Two coats, no tops or bottoms, as is my default.


Last is Storm. This black is a shiny onyx, not at all greyed by the holo flecks.

Opacity: 2.5
Application: 5
Wear: 5
Removal: 5
Of course, two coats, no base or top.

I really can't choose between Aurora and Blaze for a favorite here. I love the shade of Blaze's red, but that extra holo in Aurora is really nice. Which is your favorite?

1 comment: